Description: Whether you or a loved one have gone through cancer treatments, or you simply want to provide meaningful support, this is a great way to do so. There are a lot of different things you can do to help someone going through chemotherapy and other treatments like radiation.
Groups or individuals: This project is great for groups, individuals, families and children.
Kits for men or women? There tends to be a lot of kits made that are tailored towards women, but please keep in mind, there are just as many men going through treatments. Please try to have a good variety of kits to include both men and women.
How many kits to create? Create one kit or 10+ kits. It all depends on your financial means and whether you’re able to include all or some of the items. If you’re in a group, each person may choose an item(s) to bring from the list in order to combine the items, to build each bag.
Cost: Cost of the suggested items below.
Drop Location/Hours: cCARE San Marcos Cancer Center & Urology
838 Nordahl Road, Suite 300
San Marcos, CA 92069
Hours: Monday – Friday 8:30 a.m. – 5 p.m
DROP OFF AT THE FRONT DESK, ATTENTION GENTRY (760) 747-8935 xt. 539
Personal Comfort Items that are suggested for Kits:
- Warm and Comfy Clothing – Head Scarves and Hats. The hospital receives a lot of knit hats, so beannies or head scarves are a nice change.
- Soft, warm blankets
- Warm socks or slippers
- Icy Cool Towel – to help with hot flashes and increased sweating
- Gentle Skin Moisturizers and Soaps (without fragrances which can be irritating, ex: Aquaphor)
- Lip Balm – shea butter, petrolatum or glycerin is ideal
- BPA Reusable Water Bottle – to keep skin and body hydrated
- Caffeine Free Tea (Peppermint, Chamomile, Ginger and Lemon) – to help aid upset stomach
- Mouth Aids – Citrus Candies, Ginger Chews
- Eye Mask, Ear Plugs and Neck Pillow
- Silk or Fleece Pillow Case – good for bald scalps
- Include an inspirational note or postcard
- Entertainment Ideas: Magazines, iTunes Gift Cards, Sudoku Puzzle Book, Journal
- Chain or Bracelet/Rock with inspirational saying – many patients hold onto these during treatment for comfort.
Package: Package the items in a gift bag or basket from the dollar store, or get creative.
Important! Include your preferred drop off date and the number of kits you plan to make in the “comments” section of the registration.
Heidi Rosario – Team Leader
Available Spots: Open
Date/Time: Flexible Days
cCARE Cancer Center & Urology Location
838 Nordahl Road Ste 300