Granting a wish for a senior gives them more than just an amazing experience. A wish come true helps them feel stronger, determined to stay active, and gives them an opportunity to check a long-term wish off their bucket list.
Purpose: Help a resident accomplish a goal or dream they have always wanted to do but have not yet had the opportunity. Some of the wishes are not physically feasible, however, with a little creativity and “outside-the-box-thinking,” wishes can be created right inside Vista Village.
Following are some wishes from residents. All plans to “make a wish” need to be coordinated through Vista Village in order to make sure the person’s abilities are taken into consideration. Remember, we encourage creativity! Taking a European vacation is most likely out of reach, but creating the experience is not. If this has your name on it, read on…
1. Mavis has always wanted to play the guitar. In addition, she has always wanted to meet Joel Osteen.
Idea: If you are a gifted guitar teacher, give Mavis lessons! Also, find some documentaries on the life and teachings of Joel Osteen and create a movie night with popcorn et. all.
2. Rosemarie wants to go back to SDSU, she wants and see the Washington / Canadian border and has always wanted to try French food.
Idea: Are you French or simply love all things French? Create a French Bistro by bringing in tables, décor, waiters, music and authentic food for an afternoon lunch. Then take an afternoon drive to SDSU and hit “Spirit Store” followed by a leisurely stroll around the campus.
3. Femi would get a thrill out of seeing someone skydive and would LOVE to have her favorite meal of Adobo Pork or Chicken.
Idea: Take Femi to Skydive in Oceanside where she can watch skydivers freefall from 10,000 feet followed by an authentic Pilipino/Spanish restaurant that serves Adobo!
4. Don wants to take a trip to Europe and has always wanted to learn to type on the computer.
Idea: Create a European vacation for Don by printing make-believe airline tickets, and create a tour of Europe with posters, food, music, etc. Follow this by lessons in touch typing on a laptop. Easy!
5. Frank R. wants to meet an amazing graphic artist (because he was a graphic artist in his youth). He wants to go to Paris to see the Eiffel Tower and has always wanted to try Sushi.
Ideas: If your or someone you know is talented in this field, “amaze” Mr. Frank by showing him the latest software, tips, and techniques currently used by graphic designers. Follow this by taking Frank to lunch at a Sushi restaurant to sample a variety of rolls.
If this special program interests you, take these steps to make it happen:
- Register on our website.
- Upon registration , your information will be sent to Ashley at Vista Village.
- Coordinate with Ashley at Vista Village to find out about current “wishes” that need to be fulfilled.
- Meet with your group to come up with a plan on how to create the “Make a Wish” experience.
- Once you have a concrete plan, run it by Vista Village to set the date.
- Execute it and have fun!
Questions: Ashley Cole, 760-941-3233, [email protected]
Thank you for considering! Together, we can help grant the true heartfelt wish of a senior citizen.
Available Spots: Open
Date/Time: Flexible Days
Vista Village Senior Living
2041 W. Vista Way