The Head Start Program promotes self-sufficiency and supports individuals and families to strive towards economic stability. Access to healthy food for all people is important, especially for low-income and underserved populations.
Project: Help them with their basic need of subsistence and provide a family with a week’s worth of healthy groceries.
Cost: Cost of the groceries. Use the suggested list below.
How much to buy? Any amount is greatly appreciated, however, the list below will provide most of the basics for a family. If possible, plan to provide enough for a family of four to six. There is no refrigeration available until the families receive their groceries. Please only purchase non-perishables with the exception of fresh fruits that do not need to be refrigerated. The list below is a great starting point but feel free to add to this list or choose your favorite items, but please choose healthy options.
Groups or Individuals: This project is great for group or individuals. If you’re an individual, you might grab your friends or family to help with the expense of the items.
Deliver to: Deliver to the Head Start Office. Once the groceries are delivered, the social workers will deliver to the clients and/or the clients will pick up from the center.
Pack: Place groceries in paper or re-usable bags and write an encouraging note to place in the bags.
Suggested Grocery List:
- Canned Tuna or Canned Chicken
- Canned Vegetables (i.e. green beans, corn, refried beans)
- Soups, Variety of your Favorites
- Mac n’ Cheese
- Peanut Butter & Jelly
- Low Sugar Cereals (i.e. Cheerios, Chex, Wheat Bran)
- Loaf of Bread (White or Whole wheat)
- Pancake Mix
- Instant Oatmeal Packets
- Granola Bars
- Instant Coffee
- Pasta, Rice
- Jar of Pasta Sauce (i.e. Marinara or Alfredo)
- Fresh Seasonal Fruit (i.e. Bananas, Apples, Pears, Cantaloupe, Watermelon)
- Granola Bars
- Mixed Nuts or other healthy snack-type food
- Multi-Purpose Wet Wipes/Diaper Wipes
- Roll of Paper Towels
- Package of Toilet Paper
- Include a thoughtful note or a few encouraging words
- Grocery Gift Card (this is above and beyond and is totally optional if you feel so inclined)
How to Get Started?
- Click the “Register” button and fill out the short form. An automated email confirmation will be sent notifying you of your volunteer commitment and notifying Head Start.
- Important! Include your preferred drop-off date and location for the groceries in the “Comments” section of the registration. This will expedite the sign-up process.
- Deliver bags to the Head Start Location in Poway or Ramona. Drop off must take place prior to 5pm on weekdays.
OFFICE HOURS/DROP OFF TIMES: tbc
QUESTIONS: Monica Vigil
Available Spots: Open
Date/Time: Flexible Days
Head Start Program - Ramona & Poway
Will be provided after registration.