About: Botanical Community Development Initiatives (BCDI) works to inspire people to live more meaningful, sustainable lives through interactions with plants. One way they do this is with Community Roots Farm. This farm is a safe space in our community as well as a demonstration in solidarity for engagement and ownership in our localized food system. Food grown at the farm is used in weekly produce deliveries to state funded preschools, a low income senior apartment, and farm share purchases from individuals who want to support local farmers working to regenerate the land.
- All are welcome to enjoy a day at the farm. Projects will vary but may include planting, seeding weeding, mulching, up-potting, compost turning, chicken care, painting signs, organizing, cleaning, data entry seed collecting, seed sorting, various maintenance projects or building projects. All activities are outside.
- Time: 11am-2pm, Fist Sunday/Every Month
- Meet: 4510 N. River Road Oceanside, 92057 (The Farm is located on the BACK side of the Shepherd of the Valley Lutheran Church)
- Bring: Gloves, hats, sunscreen, snacks & a refillable water bottle
- Wear: Closed-toed shoes and long pants required. Wear clothes you can get dirty. Hat and sunscreen highly recommended.
- Provided: Rakes, shovels and other tools will be provided.
- Who: Great for groups or individuals.
- Masks: This project is outdoors, so unless volunteers are in close proximity to others, masks are optional.
- Child Friendly: Yes! All skills and ages are welcome. Children do need to be supervised by an adult/parent and all will need to sign a waiver. Volunteers below the age of 15 must be accompanied by an adult. All children 16 -18 years need parental permission slips if left on their own. Playground is available for the kids.
- Waiver: Print and sign this waiver and bring it with you on your volunteer day.
- Composting: If you have fruit or vegetable scraps and would like to take part in their new food composting project, you may bring your scraps in a bucket, ice cream container, or large used yogurt container. Please do not bring scraps in plastic bags as they are trying to reduce plastic usage. See flier for more details.
- Volunteer Coordinator: Amanda will be on-site to give directions. [email protected]
Date/Time: 08/06/2023 - 11:00 am - 2:00 pm
Botanical Community Development Initiatives (BCDI)
4510 N. River Road