Senior Assisted Living Communities: There are many caring and compassionate resident communities that provide services for aging seniors. Find a community near you by simply “Googling senior assisted living facility.” Most of the ideas below are great for individuals and/or groups and are family friendly.
Project Ideas: Conduct a Bingo Night or Create a Blessing Bag for a Senior
Once you find a center near you, call them and ask for the “activities director” and let them know what you’d like to do to help.
Questions you may ask the senior home:
-Do they have Bingo events and would they like help running them one day/evening?
-Should you bring small prizes and or sweet treats for the Bingo winners?
Do they need volunteers to help with craft projects, gardening projects or holiday themed events?
-How many seniors are in the facility?
-Would they be interested in a “blessing bags” for their residents? If so, what types of items would they prefer and what should you avoid putting in their blessing bag?
Blessing bag suggestions:
- Art/craft supplies: craft paper, watercolor supplies, colored pencils, adult coloring books, senior friendly craft projects.
- Holiday Themed Bag: Choose and upcoming holiday and include a sweet treat, a small room decoration or an easy craft they can complete. Valentine, St. Patrick’s Day, Easter, Mother’s Day, Father’s Day are all great occasions.
- Book/DVD Kit: Nature or travel picture books, DVD movies (family-type & comedies are the most popular). Nature, animal and travel documentaries are also appreciated. Include a deck of cards or a large print book or bible.
- Treat Bags: chocolates, granola bars, store bought cookies, nuts, pre-popped popcorn, bag of mints, Nilla crackers, Cracker Jacks
- Spa/Toiletry Kit: toothpaste, toothbrush, shampoo, body wash, body spray, hand lotion, cloth face mask, slippers or socks with sticky bottoms (mens/womens).
*Please do not include hand sanitzers and manicure supplies as these are typically not permitted in the homes.
Family friendly: Most of the time, the senior homes welcome young children as it’s always a joy for them to be around younger generations. However, you should check with your local center to see what they would prefer during these times.