The Head Start Program promotes self-sufficiency and supports individuals and families to strive towards economic stability. Access to healthy food for all people is important, especially for low-income and underserved populations.
Project: Help them with their basic need of subsistence and provide a family with a week’s worth of healthy groceries.
Cost: Cost of the groceries. Use the suggested list below.
How much to buy? Any amount is greatly appreciated, however, the list below will provide most of the basics for a family. If possible, plan to provide enough for a family of four to six. There is no refrigeration available until the families receive their groceries. Please only purchase non-perishables with the exception of fresh fruits that do not need to be refrigerated. The list below is a great starting point but feel free to add to this list or choose your favorite items, but please choose healthy options.
Groups or Individuals: This project is great for group or individuals. If you’re an individual, you might grab your friends or family to help with the expense of the items.
Deliver to: Deliver to the Head Start Office in Ramona or Poway. Once the groceries are delivered, the social workers will deliver them to the clients. Address will be given after registration. Address to be provided after registration.
Pack: Place groceries in a box or reusable grocery bags and write an encouraging note to place in the bag.
Suggested Grocery List:
- Fresh Seasonal Fruit (i.e. Bananas, Apples, Pears, Oranges, Melons)
- Canned Tuna or Canned Chicken
- Canned Vegetables (i.e. green beans, corn, refried beans)
- Soups, Variety of your Favorites
- Mac n’ Cheese
- Peanut Butter & Jelly
- Low Sugar Cereals (i.e. Cheerios, Chex, Wheat Bran)
- Loaf of Bread (White or Whole wheat)
- Pancake Mix
- Instant Oatmeal Packets
- Granola Bars
- Instant Coffee
- Pasta, Rice
- Jar of Pasta Sauce (i.e. Marinara or Alfredo)
- Granola Bars
- Mixed Nuts or other healthy snack-type food
- Multi-Purpose Wet Wipes/Diaper Wipes
- Roll of Paper Towels
- Package of Toilet Paper
- Include a thoughtful note or a few encouraging words
- Grocery Gift Card (this is above and beyond and is totally optional if you feel so inclined)
- After you’ve “Registered” an automated email confirmation will be sent to you and Head Start regarding your volunteer commitment.
- Important! Include your preferred location, Ramona or Poway, and drop-off date for the groceries in the “Comments” section of the registration. This will expedite the sign-up process. Address to be provided.
- Deliver the meal to the Head Start Location during the coordinated day/time which can be done after you register with our team leader Monica Vigil. Drop off may take place prior to 5pm on weekdays.
Available Spots: Open
Date/Time: Flexible Days
Head Start Program - Ramona & Poway
Will be provided after registration.