***PLEASE READ ENTIRE PROJECT DETAILS***
Please read this description in its entirety. As of January 2019, the California Health and Safety Code, which has changed the way food is served at our partner shelters. The entire meal preparation must be made in a commercial kitchen (i.e. Bread of Life Commercial Kitchen, Costco, Winco, Grocery Store Deli or any Restaurant). This project is still very feasible with the help of a group. Check out our easy meal suggestions. If you are not in a Life Group and would still like to provide a meal, we ask that you involve your family or friends to help with the expense. Please do not sign up as an individual because this project requires at least 6 people.
Bread of Life Rescue Mission is a non-profit Christian organization in Oceanside that feeds seniors, vets, families & less fortunate every day of the year. North Coast Church has committed to bringing dinner year-round, every Wednesday night.
The Meal: A full commercial kitchen may be used to prepare the meal if you choose this option. Please plan to arrive early and RSVP with our team leader if you plan to cook the meal on-site. Otherwise, plan to bring the meal hot and ready to serve. The meal must be commercially prepared, to include a main dish, side dish and salad. Bring enough to feed 30 people. Food cannot be cooked at home, but most items from Costco can be brought and cooked on-site. Please check out the list of easy meal options. You are welcome to choose any menu you wish.
- Sandwich, chips and cookie (sandwiches prepared at Bread of Life kitchen)
- Chicken, salad, and a roll (fried chicken from KFC or grocery deli)
- Hot Dog, chips and snacks (Costco hot dogs or chicken bakes)
- Lasagna, salad and snack (frozen lasagna to be cooked on-site)
- Pizza, salad, cookie
Bread of life will provide Styrofoam dinner boxes, lunch bags, utensils and napkins. The meals are being packaged on-site and handed out at the door.
Dinner Time: Arrive with food by 5:30pm. Meals are being packaged into Styrofoam boxes and handed out at the door at 6:00pm. Most groups finish by 7:00pm or sooner. The team leader will be on-site to assist and give directions.
The Meal: All food must be purchased from a commercial kitchen or cooked on-site.
- Side Dish: Pre-made casseroles such as mac n cheese, pre-cut garlic bread, deli made potato salad, pasta salad, and coleslaw are just a few examples.
- Salad: A salad mix sealed in a bag or box is acceptable. However, the salad must be assembled on site. Please include a bottle of salad dressing and any toppings you prefer.
- Drinks: If possible, bring two (2) cases of water bottles and a two (2) gallons of milk. The mission provides coffee and punch with each meal.
- Dessert: Baked goods, cookies and dessert are always a nice treat. Two trays of cookies from Costco are always a favorite, or two large fruit trays for a healthier option.
People Needed: An entire life group may pitch in with the meal preparation, but only 6-10 are needed to serve.
- Steam Trays: There are four steam trays to keep food hot. They do not cook the food, but will keep it hot. If you plan to use them, please notify the team leader so they may be pre-heated prior to your arrival.
- Convection Oven: The convection oven may be used to cook and re-heat foods. Frozen commercially made meals (i.e. lasagna, enchiladas, etc) may be cooked in this oven. Typically, they cook 25% faster than conventional ovens. There are five racks in the oven and plenty of sheet pans for your use. If you plan to use the oven, please notify the team leader so they may pre-heat it for you. Plan to arrive at least 1-hour earlier in order to cook the meal.
- Grill: Bring meat and grill the food on-site. Please allow extra time for this and notify the team leader in advance.
- Induction Burners: Coming Soon! There will be three burners that can be used to cook or fry items like sausages, bacon, etc.
- Other Amenities On-site: Microwave, grill, serving utensils, serving bowls, sheet pans, all paper products, paper plates, paper bowls and plastic ware are available for your use.
Clean Up: Minimal cleanup is required, primarily washing trays and serving utensils.
Cost: Cost of the meal you purchase.
Child Friendly: Yes
Above and Beyond: There is always a great need for sturdy paper products, such as Costco’s “Hefty Super Weight Lunch Plates” (220 ct) and “Hefty Super Weight Small Bowls” (330 ct), and cases of water bottles. Donations are greatly appreciated and can be found at Costco.
Questions: Team Leader, Suzi Jones at [email protected], 760-458-0356
Date/Time: 03/25/2020 - 5:30 pm - 7:00 pm
Bread of Life Rescue Mission & Shelter
1919 Apple Street