***PLEASE NOTE! THE DESCRIPTION OF THIS PROJECT HAS CHANGED ***!
Please read this description in its entirely. As of January 2019, new food regulations were dictated by the California Health and Safety Code. This has changed the way is served. The entire meal preparation must be made in a COMMERCIAL KITCHEN (i.e. Bread of Life Commercial Kitchen, Costco, Winco, Grocery Store Deli or any Restaurant). This project is still very feasible with the help of a group. Check out our easy meal suggestions.
If you are not in a Life Group and would still like to provide a meal, we ask that you involve your family or friends to help with the expense. Please do not sign up as an individual because this project requires ten (10!) or more people.
Bread of Life Rescue Mission is a non-profit Christian organization in Oceanside that feeds seniors, vets, families & less fortunate every day of the year. North Coast Church has committed to bringing dinner year-round, every Wednesday night for these people.
Meal Requirements: Bread of Life now has a full commercial kitchen which may be used to prepare the meal. Please plan to arrive at least one hour earlier and RSVP with the team leader if you plan to cook the meal on-site. Otherwise, plan to bring the meal hot and ready to serve that is COMMERCIALLY PREPARED AND PACKAGED, to include a main dish, side dish and salad. Bring enough to feed 25-30 people. A commercial kitchen includes food prepared by Costco, Winco, Grocery Store Delis and any restaurant. Food cannot be cooked at home. Please check out the list of easy meal options. You are welcome to choose any menu you wish.
Dinner Time: Arrive with food by 5:30pm (really important!). The meal is served at 6:00pm. Most groups finish by 7:00pm with minimal clean up required. The team leader will be on-site to assist and give directions.
The Meal: All food needs to be purchased from a commercial kitchen or cooked on-site.
- Side Dish: Pre-made casseroles such as mac n cheese, pre-cut garlic bread, deli made potato salad, pasta salad, and coleslaw are just a few examples.
- Salad: A salad mix sealed in a bag or box is acceptable. However, the salad must be assembled on site. Please include a bottle of salad dressing and any toppings you prefer.
- Drinks: If possible, bring two (2) cases of water bottles and a two (2) gallons of milk. The mission provides coffee and punch with each meal.
- Dessert: Baked goods, cookies and dessert are always a nice treat. Two trays of cookies from Costco are always a favorite, or two large fruit trays for a healthier option.
People Needed: An entire life group may pitch in with the meal preparation, but only 6-10 are needed to serve.
- Steam Trays: There are four steam trays to keep food hot. They do not cook the food, but will keep it hot. If you plan to use them, please notify the team leader so they may be pre-heated prior to your arrival.
- Convection Oven: The convection oven can be used to cook and re-heat foods. Frozen commercially-made meals may be cooked in this oven. Typically, they cook 25% faster than conventional ovens. There are five racks in the oven and plenty of sheet pans for your use. If you plan to use the oven, please notify the team leader so they may pre-heat it for you. Also, you should plan to arrive at least 1-hour earlier in order to cook the meal.
- Grill: Bring meat and grill the food on-site. Please allow extra time for this and notify the team leader in advance.
- Induction Burners: Coming Soon! There will be three burners which can be used to cook or fry items like sausages, bacon, etc.
- Other Amenities On-site: Microwave, grill, serving utensils, serving bowls, sheet pans, all paper products, paper plates, paper bowls and plastic ware are available for your use.
Clean Up: Minimal cleanup is required, primarily washing trays and serving utensils.
Cost: Cost of the meal you purchase.
Child Friendly: Yes
Above and Beyond: There is always a great need for sturdy paper products, such as Costco’s “Hefty Super Weight Lunch Plates” (220 ct) and “Hefty Super Weight Small Bowls” (330 ct), and cases of water bottles. Donations would be greatly appreciated. All these items can be found at Costco.
Questions: Team Leader, Suzi Jones at [email protected], 760-458-0356
Availability: PROJECT FULL
Date/Time: 05/06/2020 - 5:30 pm - 7:00 pm
Bread of Life Rescue Mission & Shelter
1919 Apple Street