THE PROJECT DESCRIPTION HAS CHANGED AS OF JANUARY 2019! Starting January 2019, new food regulations were dictated by the California Health and Safety Code which has changed the way food is to be served. The entire meal preparation must be made in a COMMERCIAL KITCHEN (i.e. Costco, Winco, Grocery Store Deli, Restaurants, etc.). We have some EASY suggestions for you to make this very feasible.
Groups are asked to provide a fully prepared meal for about 50 people living in this homeless shelter for women and their children. This is an essential part of Operation Hope’s success! There is a partial kitchen with outlets, refrigerator, microwave and a serving area to make final preparations.
- People Needed: Every member of a group member may assist with the meal purchase and service.
- Dinner Time: Arrive with food fully prepared by 5:10 to 5:15pm. The meal is served at 5:30pm. Most groups are finished by 6:30pm.
- Requirements: Provide about 50 servings of a main dish, side dish and salad. The number of servings may change from week to week depending on the occupancy of the house. An email will be sent the week of if there are any changes.
- The Meal: You are welcome to choose any menu you wish, but please serve the same meal to everyone.
- Meal Guidelines and Easy Meal Suggestions
- Additional Items to Bring:
- Two gallons of milk
- Water bottles (enough for 50)
- Optional: Paper products are always greatly appreciated, such as plates, bowls, napkins, utensils, cups, etc.
- Dessert: Dessert is optional. However, a fresh fruit salad is a very popular option for dessert.
- Clean-Up: Residents will clean-up any containers and leftovers that remain. They are often packed up and enjoyed for lunch the next day.
- Blessing: A blessing may be offered over the meal by a member of your group or a shelter resident (your choice!).
- Kid Friendly: Yes
- Cost: Provide food for the meal
- Questions: Aeriell Woodhams, [email protected], 760-295-9448
- Directions: The shelter is located at 859 East Vista Way The entrance is in between Townsite Dr and Vale Terrace Drive, behind the Barnacles Gas Station (if you pass the Calvary Church you have gone too far). There is a sign which reads Operation HOPE. Feel free to park in the parking lot. Check in at reception upon arrival.
If you are not in a Life Group and would still like to provide a meal, we ask that you involve your family, or a group of friends, and do this together. Please do not sign up as an individual unless you have the finances to provide for this many people.
Bonus Opportunity – Kids HOPE Club: Monday-Friday, 7-9pm.
Stay after dinner and volunteer a few hours at the Kids HOPE Club. They are looking for volunteers to be a positive mentor during Kids HOPE Club when parents are in evening classes. Groups may play with the kids, share skills in arts and crafts, dance, and many other possibilities. Children are 0-16 yrs. If interested, please make a note in the comment box upon registration or click on this to sign up. All members of the group will need to attend a short orientation prior to volunteering with the kids and can be done on the same night.
Availability: PROJECT FULL
Date/Time: 12/26/2019 - 5:30 pm - 6:30 pm
Operation Hope - Shelter for Women and Children
859 E Vista Way